I look forward to coming home from the hospital as soon as I get to the hospital. I don't think there is any aspect of the hospital that I enjoy, which is good, otherwise I might be in there more often. The uncomfortable beds, the bad food, TV with commercials I can't fast forward thru, and the crazy night staff! Who makes up the hospital rules anyway? I have some bones to pick with them, like why would you send someone to draw blood at 4 am?? Seriously?! I know I just had a baby, but even she was getting irritated by all the sleep disruptions.
My night nurse, Julie, should have been my first clue that "A" shift went home. She came in complaining that she hadn't worked in a few days and wasn't getting paid for those days, welcome to cutbacks. She didn't seem to know how to take my vitals, which was alright since I had done it so many times, I knew the drill. She didn't want to change my iv bag so it kept buzzing every 20 minutes until she decided that she should call for a new one. It amazed me that I could almost fall asleep in 20 minutes, but not quite. I've been known to sleep through a lot of things but that machine was super loud! When the 4 am blood draw rolled around I was so tired I almost didn't mind the needle! That is saying a lot for me, I hate needles!

(Courtney pooped while Justin was holding her)
I was so glad when the morning rolled around and the new girl doing vitals was a sharp cookie. Little did I know at the time, she wasn't the nurse. Too bad for me, she was really good and much better than loopy doopy Celeste. I would have thought someone added something to her coffee, but she was to glad to admit that she was a little off. I didn't tell her she was more than a little off! She wouldn't stop talking or leave when I was trying to talk to Justin, nothing like a private conversation. She didn't want me to leave the hospital today, even though the doctor said it was fine. When it came time for check out she rambled on and on and on and on. I didn't really pay attention to what she said, it was too much information. Basically no sex for 6 weeks, if anything oozes odd colors from me or the baby come back immediately and she was saying something about not driving because I'm slow right now. I didn't really understand the driving thing and my doctor never said I couldn't, but some other doctor she knew would recommend that. I had no idea that we could just pull ideas from whichever doctor we prefer. I'm so glad that I didn't have any of these crazy nurses for delivery. I'm going to be scheduling my next delivery around Nurse Jill's schedule! My doctor will be available then too...
(This is what Lindsay looked like when I came home, but this photo was taken a little while later while she was watching Monsters. I'm glad I have the same effect on her)
My biggest reason for wanting to go home asap was my Lindsay! This was the longest I have ever been away from her and I really missed her. She did so well all day yesterday with Kenna and last night with Justin. I know she was being strong, she seems to know when she has to toughen up and not cry.
After a really long wait for a wheelchair Justin, Courtney and I were on our way! Its a good thing the hospital is only a mile from the house or I might not have made it. I jumped out of the car and Lindsay met me at the garage door. She was so excited and loud! I got the best big hug! Justin carried in Courtney and Lindsay went bananas. She kept saying baby and hold her. Between Eric and Lindsay it took Justin a while to get thru the door and into the house. Poor Courtney was bombarded, but I guess she has to get used to that. I'm so glad that Lindsay likes her right now, I want to keep that enthusiasm going!

Amongst all the craziness at the hospital I was debating with Justin over the spelling of Courtney. We talked about it while he was there and a little over the phone and thru texting. Neither of us wanted to budge on the spelling. Obviously we went with his "C" version, mostly because if I didn't give in I would have had to stay with the nameless child in the hospital for another night... and that was totally not happening! So I am going to do what Justin said he would do and spell it how I want, even if its not legal. I don't know why he really cares how its spelled. He kept putting his foot in his mouth saying he didn't like the two K's... hello, have you met your wife? Do you know her name? Somehow it was different with the baby. Whatever! I only carried her for 9 months and then squeezed her out, he should just be glad that he has a wife willing to do that. We are in big trouble if we don't get a boy next, or I should say he is in trouble.... they only need my signature on the birth certificate :)









2 comments:
Nurses are funny. I learned to just boss mine around and had them put a sign on my door instructing them that just because they had a shift change at midnight, didn't mean that I would be woken up for vitals! Wait 6 hours! It won't kill you! And those IV alarms, man, really brings it all back. I learned how to work all my machines myself (shut off alarms, readjust monitors) to avoid annoying alarms. I am practically a labor and delivery nurse now! LOL.
I haven't sen your blog in FOREVER! (it must nut have been showing your updates on my feed...) I ADORE those pictures of Lindsey touching Courtney's head and kissing you by the window - perfect! She'll make a great big sister.
PS - HATE the 4 am vitals check... I'm not dying people! I asked to be released a day early so I could go home and get some sleep! No, I don't want to have my baby blessed in the hospital church, no I do not want hospital portraits - STOP COMING IN MY ROOM!
Post a Comment