Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rock Star

Welcome Baby Girl King!!  
Still working on the spelling of K(C)ourtney
7 lbs 13 ozs 19 inches long, born at 12:07 pm.


I was 2 cm when I got to the hospital, so I was hoping my plan of having her out by noon would work.  Around 10:30 and several hours of pectocin, I wasn't so sure.  The nurse wanted to up the dose, but I didn't want harder contractions unless I was dilating more... silly me.  I was thrilled that I had Nurse Jill who has to be a long lost cousin of Becky Conley, a family friend.  They look and act the same!!  It freaked me out two years ago when I saw her after Lindsay was born.  I didn't know why she didn't recognize me, I've only known her my whole life.

The biggest help during labor was the Valor that my mom rubbed on my feet, I'm beginning to think it is a miracle oil!  Around 11:30 and 6 cm she put it on my feet.  By 11:50 I was at 8 cm and pushing, she put on more Valor.  Seventeen minutes later the baby was here!  I received the best compliment after delivery from Nurse Jill, she said I was a rock star!  I accept, thank you but no more stage appearances for a while.  I'm relieved the delivery went so quickly, but the baby was bruised around her nose and chin because of it.  It is supposed to go away within a couple of days, so no real worry.  The only worry at this point is that she took a big gulp of fluid before coming out, so her lungs need to dry out.  The nurses want to hear her cry more and make sure they got all the gunk out.













Justin got a shirt with the baby's feet prints, it was the first time she walked on him, but not the last!  He is never going to wash the shirt.  He didn't take it off all day, what a proud new daddy!  I was really glad that he was able to go with the nurse to give the baby her first bath.  Not long after they left the "pink alert" went off which means a baby is missing.  Nothing like having a baby and a heart attack in the same hour!  










Kids still aren't allowed in the hospital, I think they should be allowed in the maternity ward.  This is where their new family member is and they need to be able to bond asap!  Why don't the hospital officials see that as important?  I'm thoroughly annoyed and completely irritated by the whole thing.  Eric and Lindsay can wear masks the whole time they are here, just let them in!!  This will be the longest I've ever been away from Lindsay and I don't know who is taking it worse.  That's not true, I'm taking it worse, I know she is playing and having fun right now.  It will probably be harder on her tonight when she only has Justin to put her to bed.  I hope he is planning on having a snuggle bunny because I don't think she will leave his side.













Being the wonderful husband he is, Justin went out and got me a really yummy sandwich from a butcher shop/ deli downtown.  I had brought chips and other snacks with me, who wants to eat hospital food?  He totally owed me because I brought donuts to the hospital so he wouldn't starve and he is way behind on his foot rubs.  Mostly because I let him sleep in a little and get a good shower before he came to the hospital, which was actually a brilliant idea because he would have been in the way while the nurse was getting me situated.  I think that worked well for both of us, but he still benefitted more!

All in all it was a great day!  I can't believe that I'm so tired even though labor was so much shorter than it was with Lindsay.  Nurse Jill told me that my doctor wanted her to talk me into an epidural.  That was so not happening, I've had enough shots already.  After the fun shower with an iv I can't wait to go home and take a real shower.  Tomorrow can't get here soon enough!!


3 comments:

Jenni Johansen said...

I love reading birth stories and yours was no exception! You ARE a ROCK STAR!! no epidural? You are crazy, but I do think it'd be a thrill to do it myself. I'm just a WIMP!

WHAT IS THIS VALOR YOU SPEAK OF??? I think I need that!!!

Canadian Princess said...

Congrats Katherine and fam...and I'm glad all went so well and quickly for you Katherine! And good luck figuring out the spelling pf her name;)

Jenni said...

Yeah, I want in on the Valor voodoo! Hospitals do have dumb rules but after living in one for a month.... I have seen both sides (we want our kids there but when you are rooming with another Mom in anti-partem, you can't wait for their 4 loud kids who keep creeping under the curtain to leave!) I wonder what our hospital's policy is because Ryli wants to be there for the birth (considering it).
So glad things went so well for all of you. Happy and healthy. Yay!